Dr. Declan McCrohan
Assistant Professor | Department of Economics
18 years of academic experience in Economics, Finance and International Trade
15 years of research
19 Academic and Government publications.
Dr. Declan McCrohan, an Australian national, has over a decade of experience working in the field of Academia throughout Asia and the Middle East. His academic experience and unparalleled leadership skills have enabled him to develop and deliver a number of unique undergraduate and postgraduate courses at a number of universities including Alfaisal University in the KSA, Zayed University and Heriot Watt University in the UAE and Victoria University in Australia. Dr. McCrohan’s research interests cover a wide range of areas including financial modelling of Middle Eastern stock markets, entrepreneurship drivers in the Middle East and the development of international education offshore programmes, with particular focus on Australian Tertiary Institutions’ expansion into Asia and the MENA Region. Dr McCrohan was also the team leader of the 2009 UAE GEM Study into Entrepreneurship in the UAE.
Awards and Recognition
- 2014 Best paper award at the 29th International Business Research Conference, Sydney Australia, paper titled “The 2011 US Debt Ceiling Debacle – Multivariate GARCH in-Mean Analysis authored by Dr Bruce Budd and Dr Declan McCrohan
- 2014 MBA Teacher of the Year award – College of Business, Alfaisal University
- 2014 Supervised the winning three research projects at the Alfaisal University Student Research Awards
- 2012 MBA Teacher of the Year, College of Business, Alfaisal University
- 2010 Best Reviewer Award at the 2010 AIB-MENA Conference –Finance, Economics and Accounting Track
- 2009 Designated the Team Leader of the UAE GEM Study into Entrepreneurship in the UAE
- 2000 Awarded a full scholarship to undertake PhD studies by the Faculty of Business and Law, Victoria University
- 1997 National Australia Bank Business Student of the Year Prize for Best Post Graduate Student at Victoria University
- Austock Group, Melbourne, Australia
- Australian Trade Commission, Sydney, Australia
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Economics, Victoria University, Australia, 2004
- Master of Business in International Trade and Finance, Victoria University, Australia, 1997
- Bachelor of Business in International Business, Victoria University, Australia, 1996
- Entrepreneurship and Economic Development in the MENA region
- Market Efficiency Testing of GCC and Asia Pacific Markets
- Financial Markets Focus on Volatility
- The Downfall of Long-term Fundamental Investment Principles
- The link between International Student Flows and International Trade patterns
- The relationship between economic growth, fiscal budget balances and oil price volatility within GCC markets
List of Publications
- 2015 Budd B. & McCrohan, D. (2015). The 2011 US Debt Ceiling Debacle – Multivariate GARCH-in-Mean Analysis. Journal of Business Policy and Research, 10(2).
- 2012 McCrohan, D. & Budd, B. (2012). Sensitivity of Sector Risk-return Relationships in the Saudi Arabian Stock Market. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 85, 101-110.
- 2012 McCrohan, D., Tong, Q. & Erogul, M. (2012). An analysis of entrepreneurship across 5 major nationality groups in the UAE. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship 17(2), 1-18.
- •2010 McCrohan, D, Erogul, M, Tong, Q. & Vellinga, N. (2010). 2009 GEM Report on Entrepreneurship in the United Arab Emirates. Zayed University.