The primary aim of this course is to develop students’ understanding of the key concepts and principles of responsible and positive impact investing and finance and thus how to avoid negative environmental and social impacts or generate solutions to potential negative consequences of investing and finance.
To this effect, the course will cover the fundamentals and theories of investing and finance, the basics of commercial interaction as quantified in game theory and the consequential case for responsible investing and finance as well as opposing theories.
The focus is on raising awareness on environmental and social impacts in investment and finance based on prevailing global standards such as from the UN, World Bank, the IFC, the Equator principles and related guidelines for investing. We will discuss functional and practical impact identification, assessment approaches and management, will review the consequences for risk management, governance and business development and will then move to positive impact creation strategies and investment structures.
We will review the emerging body of thinking and application of corporate, social responsibility for public and private markets investing. Finally, we will review the course content against some overall concepts of business ethics.
Learning outcomes from the course:
- Understand the rationale and impact of responsible financing approaches
- Understand the rationale and impact of responsible investment models
- Demonstrate or develop structuring skills for responsible investment and finance
- Develop an attitude of a reflective practitioner in finance
- Demonstrate risk management skills based on a PESTO context factor approach
- Diagnose positive and negative impacts in investing and finance
- Demonstrate independent thinking and exploration skills for impact identification, assessment, management and holistic value creation
- Demonstrate understanding of the influencing factors of impacts (external) and corporate culture/governance (internal), value statements, organizational structures and strategy
- Utilize and apply International Standards, Models and Management skills in
- Understand approaches and guidelines to responsible investing and providing capital to entrepreneurs